Tuesday, August 10, 2004

INDONESIAN IDOL: Party time!

When I first read that the theme for the 6th Spectacular Idol was groovy song, I was excited. And I got more excited when I read in Wisa’s tagboard that Joy, my current numero uno candidate for the champion, will sing the incomparable grooviest Indonesian song, Pesta. It was one of the winners of the Indonesian Popular Song Festival in 1987 (alongside Kembalikan Baliku by Yopie Latul and Kusadari by Harvey Malaiholo—if my memory serves me right).

And Joy, the short-chubby-emosi-jiwa-hairstyle Joy, the most eclectic singer of them all Idols, never fails to charm, entertain and groove me. Not Helena, whose tall and beautiful look should have fulfilled the fantasy of most teenagers and drooling older guys alike if only she just danced a little. No, she didn’t move much. Certainly not Delon, who is even singing slow-tempo song seems always awkward onstage. And I couldn’t expect Nania to move. Not after that operation. That night, to replace her moveless body, she growled a bit too much it became annoying. A word of advice dear Nania, you’re not a lioness. Please, stop snarling too much as if you’re making any point by doing so. You’re not. In fact, ganggu getoh lho.

But my biggest disappointment was Michael. Last week I was so amazed with the way he sang pop-rock song I considered his was the third best performance after Joy and Lucky. Nevertheless, that fateful night, singing Rame-rame, a traditional Ambonese song, Michael gave one of his worst performances. For that, Muthia's should be directed to.

He got no groove! And he was black for crying out loud! I don’t mean to be racist, but certain culture possesses certain glitz; don’t Batak people are considered natural singers (that explains Joy)? And don’t black people, including Papuan, are associated with rhytmic dance? Look at the amazing Dani tribe war dance? Thus, the Michael I saw that night was not the Michael I expected to see. In fact since it was supposed to be a groovy night, I expected Michael came to be second best after Joy (hell, who could beat Joy after Lucky was not around—oh, I still can’t bear to think that Lucky, who was the only person who could match the eclecticism of Joy, has been voted out.) Why, Michael? Why so stiff? Why so jaim? You deserved to be voted out. Indonesia was right this time.

So that night belonged to Joy. She sang Pesta extravagantly and she actually danced to the music like none other could! The only, I mean, the one finalist who cared to coreagraph her every steps and performed to the utmost. She performed Salsa steps to provide the party ambience required by the song. Oh, I so love Joy. She was simply amazing. Her will to learn, her attention to details, her voice, oh Joy, you’re such a treat!

But one thing I’d like to add about that night was I so enjoyed the performance of Elfa’s Singers singing their old-80’s-pop-song-winner songs, Oh Kasihku and Ayun Langkahmu. I haven’t seen them performing live for such a long time and certainly not singing their brand festival songs.

Gusye and I had a great time singing along while the whole Sarbini, I meant all the viewers looked puzzled and isolated with the songs. Gosh, don’t they know that these are classic groovy Indonesian songs? Don’t you ABGs ever hear your big brother or sister play the songs on cassette? No? What about your auntie and uncle? What? Still no? Ok, my last try, your parents, perhaps? (You still shake your head, ok, I give up, I wouldn't sink lower asking you to ask your gramps ya.)

Dear Indonesian teenage boys and girls, this is Elfa’s Singers at their best! These are classics! Why don’t they rerecord these songs so these teenagers could listen to some good old stuffs from the old days? A collection of their best, and while we’re at it, why don’t Harvey make his too? I mean, where can I find any recording of his best Seandainya Kita Selalu Satu? That way, Rommy and all the ignorant ABGs would’ve known that Lucky was not the first one to sing Nuansa Bening, but Keenan Nasution.

Suddenly, I feel old.

Old posting and comments

1 comment: